Thursday, February 25, 2010

The Natives are Restless

Tensions are strained. The seemingly never-ending winter has caused some political upheaval around here. There has been a coup in the coop. Old One-Eyed Calico Jack, leader of the bantam flock, has been overthrown and ousted. His own son, JB (Jack's Boy), has taken over the roost.
The former leader spent the entire day outside the coop yesterday, hiding in a small three-sided shelter. This morning he was found cowering behind a broody hen inside the nest boxes. If today's peace negotiations fail, one of them will be forced into exile. Should it be Old One-Eyed Calico Jack, the blind-as-a-bat, lovable, bumbling, disbled veteran? Or JB the young, handsome, up-and-coming whippersnapper?
Photobucket

13 comments:

Claire Boyles said...

I'm betting on the whippersnapper. Nature is ruthless about such things.

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

While I root for the Old One-Eyed Calico Jack who is loveable and , bumbling to keep the top spot, I sadly have to think it'll be the up and coming whipperhsapper...darnit...

Dianna said...

I'm with the other two ladies where my vote is concerned. It is as they say, even though we'd like Old Jack to regain his position...somehow JB's youth will probably prevail.

thecrazysheeplady said...

I think the old guy moves into your house...

ErikS said...

I can't wait to see what 'coup' happens when Ethel's cousins show up next week for a two week stay. The fur will be flying. Loki has been sharpening up the claws. Geo...well, Geo is Geo and really doesn't care.

John Going Gently said...

love the cocky photo of him walking away from the camera

Robin said...

I love your blog. For a small town gal trapped in a large city it is a refreshing look at somthing real.

Renee said...

I am going to vote for One-eyed Jack, but then I am contending with my own revolting whippersnapper. And yes - I said that correctly.

Mc Allen said...

I just dont have the hear to vote. I say ya send pops here to Ok. :) and I would love to put that pic on my header! Love this post!! xoxo LA

Nancy K. said...

Sometimes I really hate nature...

Anonymous said...

Hello,

Simply can't remember where I found you(its 1:30am and I can't sleep), but sure glad I did. Love your writings. You had me laughing. Thanks, I needed that. I especially enjoyed "working for a living". Animals ARE funny.

Hope things quiet down on the farm, especially those natives;-)

Blessings,
Jilly, farmgirl at heart

Callie Brady said...

I vote for peace. We don't have a rooster anymore and the hens are much happier, so for the hens welfare I would have to go with the nice old gentleman.

I'm gonna tell Mom! said...

Poor Jack. I think hiding in the nesting box is more than an old rooster can overcome.
Kim