Saturday, March 8, 2014

Cheddar Scrappy Stars

I was downtown last night for our First Friday downtown celebration. This month's theme was a Jimmy Buffett Beach Bash. The restaurants really went all out with their Cheeseburgers in Paradise. Believe it or not this one is a cupcake!


After dinner was a great time to burn off those calories by browsing all the fun shops we have on the square. Perhaps it was all the tropical shirts and island beach music that had me in such a bright mood that when I saw this cheddar star quilt in the antique mall I had to have it. 


It is a light-weight summer quilt with tiny hand quilted stitches that has never even been washed--the marking lines can still be seen.  


I paid so very little for it I almost feel I stole it. I couldn't even begin to buy the fabric to make one myself for that price. I'm sure the seller didn't think an orange quilt would appeal to many people, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Cheddar star quilts were popular throughout the 1800s. This is the simple style of quilt that really speaks to me and I think it is priceless.  It is just the pop of color my quilt collection needed. 


7 comments:

I'm gonna tell Mom! said...

LOVE it!
kim

Florida Farm Girl said...

Lucky you! Sounds like you had a great evening out.

Kellie from Indiana said...

Cheddar is real popular now too, its very beautifully quilted. Its motivating me to get on with hand quilting the quilt I hand pieced. Thanks for the inspiration!

Anonymous said...

WOW! WOW! WOW!

Jayne said...

I like it! It's a bright, happy color.

Elaine said...

My favorite color!! It's sure to brighten up this dismal weather.

Sherry said...

I love this Cheddar quilt....so pretty.