Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Making Progress in Home, Health and Family

My days are now filled with baby steps of progress related to home, health and family.  On the home front we've been busy with yard work and we managed to get the shelves above my sewing desk hung so the sewing room is now complete. I've been plugging away at this Love at Home quilt top. I have plans to sit down to hand appliqué the leaves this afternoon on the screened porch.


The porch has a lot to do with my health and wellbeing. I've started following Dr.Andrew Weil's 8 Weeks to Optimum Health plan. He promotes an anti-inflammatory diet, exercise such as walking and yoga, in addition to meditation and spending time in nature. Spending time on the screened porch feels like living in a tree house and it is good for my soul. I know living here, versus in the city, is making me healthier. I feel better. The constant noise in the city drove me crazy and had me always on edge. Here I can breath and relax.



The porch is also a great place to spend time with the family. My daughter and her husband adopted a son back in March so it has been nice to be in the area and able to spend time with him.


I am still adjusting to the idea of being a Grandmother to a 15 year-old given that my daughter is only 25 herself, but I wouldn't trade him for the world. Besides, it is kind of fun to get out to the track and watch other people my age who still have children in high school look at me funny when they realize he's my daughter's son.


The city here has a wonderful free zoo and park that we plan to take advantage of.  The groundhog exhibit is one of my favorites.


But the best part is the baby goats! I'm not sure why, but they don't have any sheep. I may need to make a donation so they can get some. Then I could visit them whenever I want.  Er, I mean the kids, yeah the kids could visit them whenever they want.






4 comments:

Michelle said...

Your newest "grand baby" sounds like a story that needs to be told! So glad you are feeling better in your new home.

Gone Country said...

I'm so glad you're feeling better. I love Dr. Weil and his healthy living/diet philosophy. And, I've always felt living in the country and adopting a slower pace of life and enjoying nature had positive health benefits. That's exactly what Hubby and are doing here at the farm.

The quilt is looking good!

paront1222@comcast.net said...

What a nice thing for your daughter to do. I don't think people realize how many older kids are out there needing forever homes! He will go into adulthood knowing he was loved by someone!!!

Missed seeing you in Indiana...

Peggy

Sherry said...

Oh my I love your sewing room...and as a grandma congrats to you, just think how much you can show this young man, on life and family...wonderful. I will have to check into Dr. Weil, sounds like it is helping you a lot. I have a question what is your backboard on the wall made of..felt,cork? I love it. Have a wonderful day.