Friday, April 24, 2009

Did I Tell You About the Time...

Did I tell you about the time the Engineer thought turkey buzzards were chickens? Yep. It's been many moons ago but he did. See, he's not from around these parts. He's a Newfie. They don't have a lot of farms in Newfoundland. I suppose that's because it's really just a giant rock sticking up out of the ocean. Hard to grow much on a rock. So instead, they fish. Oh, and cut down trees. Seems pine trees can grow just fine up there through the crevices in the rocks. (If you've never been to Newfoundland I suggest you go, it's one of the most beautiful places on earth.)

Anyhoo, when we met he was living in the city and hadn't had much farming experience. Sure he was in Indiana, but the cities in Indiana are a lot like cities anywhere. Full of concrete and shiny glass buildings. One fine day I decided it was high time to leave the big city and venture out to my parents house. (Who you may recall are real farmers.) My kids were about age 11 and 6 at the time and riding in the backseat when we passed a cornfield with a handful of turkey buzzards scattered about. He looked straight at them and said "Oh look, chickens!" I was afraid the kids were going to pee their pants they were laughing so hard. They've never let him forget it.

So anyway if you are a frequent visitor here you know he's come a long, long way since then. But he still has his moments. Like last night when he insisted he needs a $10,000 tractor to mow 1 1/2 acres. I had to try to politely explain that the real farmers would laugh at him if he were spotted driving one of those things around the yard. Yes, 1 1/2 acres would be a HUGE yard in Newfoundland, but in the rural Midwest...not so much.

It's always an adventure. Oh, the stories I could tell. Remind me to tell you about the time he left me at a party in Newfoundland and I couldn't understand a word anyone was saying. Or the time he fell into the creek the day he met my parents. Or many, many other cultural misunderstandings.

I love you , Dear! You amuse me. But I think you can live without a $10,000 tractor. Nice try though.

6 comments:

Wendy said...

You can't blame a boy for tryin'!

And maybe he doesn't care if he's the brunt of the jokes at the general store down the road...

But... dayum! Ten Thousand Bucks! That's a lot of laughing! :-)

StitchinByTheLake said...

I'd be wanting one of those too if I were mowing. :) blessings, marlene

Bethany said...

If he gets the tractor do you get something worth 10,000? It's only fair..

Unknown said...

So that's how you convinced him into getting sheep.;D

The Engineer and I have a lot in common. I've had my fare share of blunders. Most of which I don't care to share, but this one I will. When I was about 7 or 8 years old I ran in the house to tell my grandmother that some man was cutting her pretty flowers. I just knew she would let him have it as she followed me out the door......instead she stood there and laughed at me saying he was topping her tobacco. How was I suppose to know??

Lindah said...

That's a pretty cool little machine! We don't live in a big city, but the town is big enough to have housing developments. I did a double take recently when I noticed the neighbor's new yard maintenace man was using a riding mower to cut her postage stamp sized lawn. Now I mean reely tiny yard. He was a marvel at maneuvering the mower around the crape myrtle between the walk and the front step. But why?

melanie said...

Around here, the sheep ARE the lawn mowers. Tell the hubby to go for a TRACTOR...that ought to really make him drool...