I am finally able to reveal the end product of my Mystery Mission Challenge project! Our assignment from Quilt Guild Headquarters was to exchange 6.5" squares with the selected individuals in our group. We could decide how many and what style. We were only allowed two other fabrics of our own to complete the quilt top. And we had to meet at least once to discuss the projects and get to know each other a little better.
In our little group of three we had three different taste preferences. (I think they did that on purpose.) So naturally it wasn't easy to decide on a theme. We really had no choice but to go scrappy with it, much to my delight. I love a scrappy quilt. We did, however, all agree that we liked the same pattern from Nickle Quilts and realized we could still make each quilt our own just by the border choices and quilting designs.
I wanted to make mine look old, like a vintage quilt. So I chose reproduction fabrics for the border and backing. Then just quilted simple straight lines (or as straight as I'll ever get them, I don't know why I have such a problem with that.) It still seemed a little contemporary so I tea-stained the entire thing to tone down some of the brighter colors just a hair.
We did the big reveal tonight at our quilt guild meeting and the quilts were a big hit. It was a lot of fun to see how different each quilt looked with the different border choices. I thought Elaine's brown fabric really made all the other colors pop and Judy's floral print gave it more of a blended look.
It was a really fun project to work on, although there were times I thought I was in over my head. Best of all it was a really fun way to get to know some of the gals in our guild.