Friday, October 1, 2010

A Bit of a Dry Spell

According to my notes, it hasn’t rained here on the farm since sometime back in July. The creek has long since dried up.

DSC_6094 

And the spring-fed pond has been reduced to just a puddle. The large family of turtles who live there are still alive for now, but if we don’t get some rain soon they will suffer losses. I would have to believe you can only sustain so many turtles in a puddle.

DSC_6097

Of course the pastures are not growing. We started feeding hay weeks ago, much earlier than expected. The fat bottom girls are once again trying to claim the hay feeders as their private birthing room.

DSC_6233 

Unfortunately, my sense of humor has dried up along with everything else around here. However, I’m trying to pull and claw my way back out of the rut life keeps pushing me into lately.

DSC_6043

But honestly, some days it’s easier just to take a nap and hope it’s a better day when I wake up.

DSC_6041christinesig

12 comments:

Angela said...

I was thinking of your this morning. Glad to read your post to know you are alive! :o) November is coming...get ready for some fun!

Michelle said...

Our drought broke this month; I hope your turn comes soon! And be thankful your fat-bottom girls are LAYING; I'm getting one or two eggs a day from eight hens. :-(

Crunchy Diva said...

what a cute dog you have...lol

The Barn Door said...

Awwww...what a cutie pie your Beagle is! We are so dry here in mid-Indiana too. My yard has huge fissure cracks that look like a mouse could fall into and never bee seen again! It's got to rain soon.

Jim said...

The last two pics say it all! Great shots of your dog. A rain dance may help, Christine.
Jim

Sheila said...

I agree with Jabacue, it's time to start doing that rain dance. I wish I could send you some of the rain we have gotten the last couple of days. Love your beagle!

Florida Farm Girl said...

Hey, there! Sure hope you get some rain soon. Been a weird year, weatherwise, all over the country. That little guy with his nose tucked in is so cute!!!!

Briarose said...

Good to see that you are posting again. I missed your posts. How is your sister doing?
Hang in there, it does get better.

Penny said...

Kike Angela I've been thinking about you and wondering if you were okay.

Are you bringing your spinning wheel to Retreat??

I'm gonna tell Mom! said...

It has been a tough season. Remember there is always tomorrow...and there is always hope! I am so thankful for my animals because on some days they are the only reason I want to get up in the morning! As for this dry spell..."this too shall pass".
Bonnie Jo

thecrazysheeplady said...

We've all suffered from the "dry spell" in your blogging too. Glad you know you are okay...or at least still out there ;-).

paulafrances said...

Just found your blog, (by way of searching tattered pioneer quilt!)
and I love it. We have a Hoosier Homestead Farm in our family, in Milroy. It is awfully dry... your post is a counterpoint to how good that made it for the corn and bean farmers.
That's what I love about the farm. It shows me how life works.