Sunday, September 2, 2007

Amazing Discoveries

Okay, well maybe not exactly amazing, but a little cool none the less. While cleaning up the garage this week M. discovered one of the original screen doors in pretty good condition. He's worked on it all day today and made interchangeable screen/glass inserts for it. We're hoping the glass inserts will help keep the wind out during the winter. Notice I said wind and not draft. It blew so hard through the doors last winter it would actually pick up and move the door mats. I don't know about you, but I consider that slightly more than a draft. Some weatherstripping and the refurbished screen doors should make it a tad bit more comfortable around here.

We also discovered an old schoolhouse style chalkboard hiding in there. Obviously that'll get cleaned up and go into the office/classroom.

My parents came down this weekend. After a wonderful meal at our favorite local restaurant (okay it's the only restaurant) we stopped at one of the antique shops. We made out like bandits. I found the perfect pitcher and bowl to sit atop that washstand I just finished. I also found some old casters to add to the antique library table that I use as a cutting table in my sewing room. I needed it to be a little taller and these will do the trick. M. found an old hand plane, spent most of Saturday cleaning it up and realized he probably got the deal of the century. A. found a cool metal clip in the shape of a shield. Everybody went home happy.

Mom brought the antique quilt frame she had stored in her shed. We managed to figure out how to put it back together and it fits in the room! I'm thrilled. Needs some cleaning and a wee bit of refurbishing but not much.

Sold a bunch of stuff in the garage sale. A lot of work, but fun to chat with some of the folks who stopped by. We really lucked out on the beautiful weather. I even managed to sit out there and do some hand quilting. So all in all, it's been a pretty darn good weekend.

No comments: