Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Unsolved Mysteries

Something went down. Something serious.

I've been putting all the knowledge I've gained watching all those CSI and NCIS episodes to good use lately. First it was Bob. His erratic aggressive behavior. Then the holes dug next to the run fence. Then Jack not leaving the coop.

Something went down. Something serious.

Then there was the abuse of poor Old Jack. And his desire to run and hide. Jack had never been the run and hide type before. He was more of a in-your-face kind of guy. What happened?

Something went down. Something serious.

After moving Blackbeard and his Wenches in with Bob it was like a huge weight had been lifted off Bob's shoulders. In fact, on Saturday while I was out milling about in the run Bob and I made up and he even sat in my lap for awhile. We did NOT kiss and make up though. I'm still leery of him getting near my lips. But what made him go crazy to begin with?

Something went down. Something serious.

Then I noticed the most important clue. When Jack jumped up on the roost to taunt Blackbeard about his new lady friends I saw it clearly. Jack's spurs were missing. He was walking around unarmed. It takes an awful lot of force to remove a rooster's spur. None of the other chickens were injured. So how did he break off his spurs?

Something went down. Something serious.

Then it snowed. Snow is good for crime scene investigators. You can see clearly the tracks in the snow. The tracks of the culprit that most likely came lurking around. The predator that Jack valiantly fought through the fence where he lost his spurs. He's not just a lonely old rooster afraid of his own shadow. He wasn't trying to cavort with one of Blackbeard's Wenches. Old One-Eyed Calico Jack is a disabled war veteran!

4 comments:

Jayne said...

Oh, the suspense is killing me! What a cliffhanger! Post pics of the tracks so we know who it was that Jack so bravely fought off. Poor Jack, that must've been some fight to break off his spurs.

Wendy said...

How complicated a chickens life might be, what a interesting story.

Unknown said...

I'm speechless.....and that never happens.

I hope there is a part 2 to this story.

Anonymous said...

I didn't even KNOW roosters could lose their spurs. Sounds incredibly painful! Poor Jack!