Saturday, December 15, 2007

Let There be Cake - part one

So after teetering on the edge for a while I finally pulled myself out of the corner, wiped the drool from my chin, and headed to the big city. We found ourselves at the doorstep of H.H. Gregg. A place I had sworn many moons ago never to revisit. But I was a very desperate housewife.

Hold on to your girdles here... I don't like stainless steel. (the audience gasps) I'm evidently the only person in North America who has no desire whatsoever to install stainless steel appliances. I don't want to spend the rest of my days wandering around here with a bottle of Windex wiping every tiny fingerprint. Nor do I want my kitchen to look like a fancy restaurant kitchen, it's my home, if I want a fancy meal I go out. I also have no desire to own appliances that will soon become the avocado green of the new millennium. It might be all the rage now, but sooner or later people are going to realize they're a pain in the keester.

So all I wanted was a basic white self cleaning oven. I kicked the tires on several different models, deciding on three, none of which apparently are made in white anymore. So then I kicked a few more. Then I found one that came in white, but it had gray grates. With my cooking and housekeeping skills those things would have been stained and ugly in, oh, about two days. Come to find out, all the white ones have gray grates. So I finally gave up on the hope of ever having matching appliances and ended up with the same model in black. Black with black grates that will hide my spills and cooked on food. (Cause I have parades of people through here every day ya know.)

It will, at least, match the dishwasher. But most importantly, they could deliver it the next day. Now all I had to do was get it converted to propane and hooked up...

(to be continued)

4 comments:

Jen said...

No Christine, you're not the only one. I don't like that look either. To me it looks cold and not at all homey.

LRC said...

Nothing in my kitchen matches...........of course nothing in any part of my house does.

How did Sears take the cancellation?

Christine said...

Let's just say by the time it was all said and done, it was a mutual agreement to cancel the order.

Sandy said...

Well, Christine, you can add another to the "I don't like stainless steel" bunch! I don't like them either!