Okay, okay, so I nearly fell face first when I tried to pick one of the blocks up. But I DID, try to help. The willingness was there, just not the umph. Seems I may need to bump up my workout schedule a little before I apply for any construction jobs.
The engineer sorted through the pile of concrete block stored by the old barn. I believe they were part of another old building, probably the old milk house, here on the property. They match the style of block on the house. After chipping all the excess mortar off he started leveling out the new coop foundation.
He worked long and hard on Sunday during the spitting rain, in an effort to redeem himself for his outhouse shenanigans the day before. I, on the other hand, got to stay in the nice warm workshop and try to fix up the old windows. With all that heavy lifting, I suppose he's paid his price.
You don't really NEED a foundation for a chicken coop, but after seeing how the outhouse rotted from the bottom and having opossums living under another shed we decided not to take any chances with this one. By the time we're done this coop will be so over-engineered it should outlast us all.