Thursday, August 7, 2008

It's Always Something

My Mom told me the other day that I needed to get a life. She thinks I've been spending too much time with my chickens. I think she's probably right. But I do have a life, it just doesn't make for interesting reading. I mean really, would you rather read about laundry, housekeeping and homeschooling or about Broody Betty?

I thought so.


You see, in order to get the hens to know where to lay an egg you're supposed to put a fake egg in the nest. That makes their tiny brain say "Oh, lookey there, I want to lay my egg next to that one." And it works fabulously. A little too fabulously. Now Broody Betty won't get off the nest. It seems she thinks that since all the other eggs go missing and this is the only one that stays she'd better get busy and hatch it. Problem is, she's trying to hatch a golf ball.


A golf ball with Chase's name on it no doubt. I don't know who Chase is but I know he's missing one of his balls.

7 comments:

Sunny said...

I just recently found your blog from Carol at Love to Quilt and I love reading about your chickens and everything else. Thank you for the chuckles. Oh, and congratulations on quitting smoking. I have quit too!

Unknown said...

Oh, tell your mom you could be doing a lot worse. I'm sure you could come up with a few ideas that would scare the bajeebers out of her. Then she'll be glad you've got the chickens to keep you busy.

Anonymous said...

Too funny! Would it damage her emotionally if the golf b....I mean egg...were removed? Chickens are so complex - in a simple sorta way.

Anonymous said...

Is that my...oh, it says Chase not Lance. My bad.

Patsy said...

Love it, my daddy use to say you can take the girl out of the country but you can't take the country out of the girl. And that is sure me, now that I am old I long for those days back on the farm of my childhood.
Patsy

Sandy said...

Best laugh I've had all day!

Carol said...

I never knew that about chickens never having had any. I thought they just naturally wanted to lay an egg. I really look forward to reading your blog and getting a chuckle. I still think you should write a book about those chickens.