Thursday, November 24, 2011

Ol’ Tom Turkey

He wore a can cozy as a hat, puffed up and strutted about like he owned the place.  It is every girl’s dream to have a turkey come to her slumber party. An event that will be talked about for years to come. Even decades thanks to the power of Facebook.

turkey

Not every kid at Oxford Elementary had a pet turkey that would follow you around like a dog. I had two. Tom’s wife, Maude, was not quite as flashy him but had a more demure personality all her own. I was the envy of the neighborhood after that night Dad brought the turkey in the house. I’m sure of it.

Tom lived a long life, his destiny unfulfilled. I am thankful to have known him. He helped raise me and shape my worldview. As I sit down to the table today, I’ll remember him fondly.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fabulous photo! Enjoy your Thanksgiving today!!

Historical Ken said...

A great story Christine! I had a friend who had a pet duck that acted the same as your turkey. Chuck the duck.
Happy Thanksgiving.

Denise at Autumn Sky said...

That's a great story and photo. How fun for you. Happy Thanksgiving.

I'm gonna tell Mom! said...

Tom was a beaut!
Happy Thanksgiving!
kim

Unknown said...

"He helped raise me and shape my worldview." Umm...have you been called a bird brain before? JK!

Happy Thanksgiving!

BTW, that's a gorgeous Tom!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the post. It teared me up because I miss my pet turkey who died this year.

The Barn Door said...

Awwww what a great photo!! So glad Tom didn't have to 'meet his destiny'! Happy Turkey Day to you and yours!
Karen & the Hound

Leigh said...

Hi Christine, I wanted to return the blog visit and thank you for your comment on mine. :) I have never known anyone with a pet turkey! Is that cool or what. We're actually thinking of getting turkeys to raise for next year. But not for pets!

Callie Brady said...

He was a beautiful turkey, that's for sure. Very glad you and he were buddies.

Danni said...

LOVE the PBR on the table. That's a drink staple on our farm. My husband insists...something having to do with country life and all the empty PBR cans he found strewn around the property when we first moved in. LOL
What a gorgeous turkey. Wonderful story. :-)