Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Just Call Me Susie

Susie Homemaker that is. Today I cleaned, laundered, shopped, baked, cooked and sewed. If this sort of behavior continues it'll ruin my reputation.

Why the flutter of domestic activity? Well... I wasn't going to mention this to the world since it's rather embarrassing, but I quit smoking.

Why is that embarrassing? Because it proves how much of an idiot I am. Anyone with half a brain surely never started or quit years ago. It's not that I didn't want to quit. In fact I tried many, many times. Nope, I was truly addicted. Am addicted. I'd pretty much kill for a cigarette as we speak.

I had tried many methods of quitting before. The patch, that nasty gum stuff, cold turkey. But I always had a problem with the physical cravings and withdrawal. The feeling that someone is trying to pull all your teeth out. That your head is going to explode and there are butterflies flying around in there. The feeling like you just had 12 cups of espresso.

This time I'm using the new Chantix drug. I'm on day 13 of the program. You basically go through the physical withdrawal before you even quit smoking. Last week I felt terrible, headaches, nausea, dizziness, etc. This week it's better. Now I just need to continue to change my habits, and ignore the cravings. This morning I tried to allow myself to fall off the wagon. I tried smoking a cigarette. The drug is working. It was so nasty, I can guarantee you that was my last one.

So in celebration, because you are supposed to reward yourself, tonight we eat cake!

4 comments:

LRC said...

A. Good for you!
B. Shut up already.

Rechelle said...

Wishing you the best!

Renee said...

YEAH!!! But I am having a tough time thinking of the smoking you as the lazier version. My head may explode if you accomplish any more.

And Congratulations!!!

Jayne said...

Good luck with quitting smoking. Wish my son would. And stick with the Chantix--a guy I work with had smoked longer than I've been alive, tried Chantix, and quit in about 3 weeks. Hope you have the same results!