Sunday, May 20, 2012

Glory Goats

A major event like Civil War Days at Conner Prairie requires a massive undertaking of coordination. At any given moment there are hundreds of reenactors performing a wide variety of activities all across the grounds.  It is impossible to micro-manage every single aspect of the event, the planner has to rely on the individual units to perform the tasks they are assigned without constant supervision. Let’s face it, getting through a major event like this without incident is more or less a miracle.

This morning, all eyes were on the Union troops in their military finery who were performing drills in the pasture located just outside the barn. Artillery fire and Gatlin guns could be heard in the distance.  Apparently Miss V. didn’t like being outdone by a bunch of reenactors, she decided it was time to put on a show of her own by performing an actual miracle.

DSC_8669

I was busy with my role as the camp laundress when I got the call. I quickly grabbed my camera and headed to the barn. She had very quickly given birth to a buck and a doe.

DSC_8659

Suddenly the crowd was thinking, “Civil what?” All the attention shifted to the newborn kids.

DSC_8683

Who could blame them?

DSC_8656

I managed to tear myself away and return to my post, but couldn’t wait to get back to the barn later in the day. The moment I saw the little doe up close and personal my heart melted. Miss V. really did perform a miracle; she’s not just an ordinary little doe. She is by far the WORLD’S CUTEST GOAT KID because she is very, very special.

DSC_8728

This little doe was born complete with her own jewelry. She has waddles just below her ears that make her look like she’s wearing dangly earrings!

DSC_8734

Not all goats have waddles. If they do, they are usually on the side of the neck like Miss V’s.  Needless to say,she is extremely proud of her little miracles and was up on the floor showing them off only hours after giving birth.

DSC_8765

I’m not sure, but based on the smiles, I suspect the youth volunteers and employees working today were okay with that.

DSC_8779

And I’m sure the guests who came expecting to see a battle were okay with seeing a birth, too.

8 comments:

Kellie said...

I think you are right.... yeah those smiles say a lot.

congrats!!! and such cutie pies!

rkbsnana said...

How sweet. Congrats

Unknown said...

Just as Ecclesiastes says, there is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens:
a time to be born and a time to die,
a time to plant and a time to uproot,
a time to kill and a time to heal,
a time to tear down and a time to build,
a time to weep and a time to laugh,
a time to mourn and a time to dance,
a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing,
a time to search and a time to give up,
a time to keep and a time to throw away,
a time to tear and a time to mend,
a time to be silent and a time to speak,
a time to love and a time to hate,
a time for war and a time for peace.

Miss V's miracle was perfectly timed.
BTW, like your costume.

Callie Brady said...

Our goats used to like to have their kids at 4-H fairs... I think they like the attention the births draw? Super photos. The little doe kid is darling!

Anonymous said...

Aaaawwww how darn cute! Nothing cuter than a bouncing baby goat!!!!! Make me wish mine were still babies!

Suzan said...

New life is beautiful!
So glad that the farm allows the "city folks" to experience a birth!! Such an education!

Nancy K. said...

AWESOME!
I truly believe that there is NOTHING cuter than a newborn goat/kid.

The Mama said...

Ok so i am new to your blog but wanted to post on this entry. My family was at Conner Prarie for Civil War Days. I was like 36/37 weeks pregnant with my other kids and hubby. No sooner had we driven the 2 hours there and observed some of the demonstrations that my then 10 year old daughter experienced a bad bout of heat stroke and the reenactors had to carry her by vintage stretcher to a tent and the surgeon doing the medical demonstration, who was a real doctor, had to tend to her. People thought we were part of the reenacting lol It was quite the day. =) And I am sure we walked past you as we accidentally headed out to the normal Civil War part of Conner Prairie and had to walk back to the correct area. We would have come back to visit the barn( my ids fave part of CP) had it not been for the heat stroke incident.