Sunday, August 5, 2007

Eureaka!

Had an epiphany today while I was on my hands and knees scrubbing the upstairs floors. We've spent our evening down time this weekend perusing the amazing work that's been done over at Enon Hall. We seem to almost be living parallel lives, even our dogs share the same name. (Long live the fig bush!) Anyway, I've fallen head over heals in love with the floors in Gay's kitchen.

So as I was scrubbing today it occurred to me that it would be an amazing treatment for our floors upstairs. We've never really been satisfied with the way they turned out leaving that dark center. And you can tell the builders reserved the "pretty" boards for the downstairs. So my idea is to use diluted milk paint for the outer part of the room allowing the wood grain to show through, then tape off the dark center section and create a faux rug or floorcloth effect. Similar to this painted floor. Then go back over it with a couple more coats of tung oil. What do you think?

Before:
Now:
Of course I'd have to talk M into allowing me to do this. And move the furniture around for the 500th time since we've moved in...

1 comment:

Renee said...

It will look gorgeous - and be very hard to do. At least it looks very hard.