Thursday, October 30, 2008

Bob's Been a Bad Boy

I love the dumb bird. I really do. But he's been acting a little too aggressive for my tastes lately. I understand he's just trying to do his job of protecting the flock. And maybe part of it is he's so darn proud of the eggs the girls are starting to lay he doesn't want me to take them. But he needs to get that little pea-size brain of his wrapped around the concept of not biting the hand that feeds him.

The men folk won't even go in the run anymore if he's in there. I don't mind going in because I know he's mostly full of bologna and just likes to talk trash. But the other day he actually got me from behind as I was leaving the run. He's lucky I was already half way out the door or he would have ended up hanging upside down somewhere. I was NOT amused. So much so I came directly into the house and pulled one of his brothers out of freezer camp and made up the tastiest batch of chicken-n-noodles you can imagine. Here's my recipe.

Chicken-n-Noodles

1 stewing chicken
2 sprigs parsley
4 celery branches with leaves
1 carrot, pared and sliced
1 small onion, cut up
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 teaspoons salt *
about 1/2 pound of noodles**

Place chicken pieces in Dutch oven or large kettle with enough water to cover (about 2 quarts). Add remaining ingredients. Cover; bring to boiling and cook over low heat about 2 1/2 hours, or till tender. Let cool. Remove meat from bones and return to pot. Bring to boil. Add noodles and cook for about 10 minutes or until tender. * If you're watching your sodium intake reduce or omit salt. **Homemade noodles are best, but you can buy homemade-style at the store in a pinch.


Later that evening when I returned to close up the coop for the night Bob had completely lost his bad attitude. My earlier jumping up and down, flapping my arms, gritting my teeth and yelling "bad chicken, Bad Chicken, BAD CHICKEN" must have made an impression. I can only imagine that must have been quite the sight to see from his birds eye view.

7 comments:

Jen said...

Soo, tell me. When you freeze them, you don't put their names on the package do you??

Unknown said...

That would have been hilarious to see. Not you being attacked by the chicken, but flapping & calling him a bad chicken.

Unknown said...

LOL! That reminds me...several years ago I was delivering mail on a rural route and I had a certified letter for this farmer. I pulled in the driveway and honked my horn and this lady came out carrying this long barrel gun. She was walking towards me and constantly turning her head looking over her shoulder. I was scared stiff, I didn't know if she was going to rob me, kidnap me or kill me. Finally when she got to my car window she looked at me like WHAT? I told her I had a certified letter, then she told me she had a rooster who had it out for her and he wasn't gonna get her this time...hence the gun! I couldn't believe having a rooster running around my place acting like some kind of terrorist. If Bob gives you any beak, I'll give you the address of this hit-woman!

Christine said...

"If Bob gives you any beak"

ROTFLMAO! Oh Milah, I nearly busted a gut on that one. Whew. Oh my.

Christine said...

Heck no, Jen. I don't label them. But I think it might have been Hermie. :(

Renee said...

Ok- I'd have paid to see your version of The Chicken Dance. Bob looks ashamed.

Carol said...

OMG, he looks full of remorse so I think you will be ok now. You put him in his place and now the pecking order is correct once again.