Monday, May 23, 2011

How Many Acres Do You Have Left?

That is the question all the farmers are asking each other. How many acres have you gotten to plant between rainstorms? It’s not as if this is the only year they’re asking it. They do it every year. I guess they do it to find out where they stand, to figure out who has bragging rights more or less. This year though, the question is of general concern. As in it is getting so late in the year if you don’t get it in the ground soon, you’re gonna be hurting. As of today my parents are about two-thirds finished planting. They are some of the lucky ones. They live an hour North of me. The farmers directly around here aren’t so lucky.

My garden is suffering the same fate. While I was busy whacking away at my garden beds with a hoe the farmer across the road was feverishly disking and planting his field with a much larger implement. He finished, I didn’t. I’m just sure he was laughing at me the whole time.

Now it’s raining again.

christinesig

8 comments:

Dianne@sheepdreams said...

My weed crop is going great. Not so much with the tomato plants still on the garden shed porch

Karen Anne said...

Everyone I know with a home garden has nothing happening. I know it is much worse for farmers.

I have a couple of tomato plants hanging in there, and some perennial vegetables. Otherwise, mud.

Tonia said...

My garden is going I have planted like crazy since the first of March. But I dont till but a little bit so the rain doesnt slow it down. However the lack of sun was hurting my tomatoe plants. They are better now.

Whosyergurl said...

Christine, We live in Bloomington and have an acre and a quarter "farm." I JUST planted flowers yesterday. We haven't put anything out in the garden. We are working to finish our chicken pen. They will be 6 wks on Saturday and it is getting warm!
xo, Cheryl

Anonymous said...

I think I'm the only farmer in this area with corn up. It's just broom corn in my garden tho ;}. We have no corn planted, we can't even get into our fields to disc. Heck, we just got pastures clipped before the rain came back and even that was chancy because it's still so soft.

Autumn said...

We haven't been able to put a garden in at all, it's been so rainy and miserable!

Anonymous said...

Forget the rental of the GOATS, send Alpacas I will be able to see their heads in the grass behind the house!!!!!!
Love Ya
ME

Jayne said...

It's all mud around here too. What winter wheat did get planted is now under water. I'm worried that, come July or August, we'll have drought. Midwest weather...sigh...