Friday, May 13, 2011

An Old-Fashioned Quilting Bee

During the month of May, Billie Creek Village opens its doors on Thursdays and Fridays to school groups to visit and learn. If you wander past the log cabin, the churches, the old schoolhouse and the general store you see the road that leads to the farmhouse. As you walk back along the winding creek  you might spot a man panning for gold and when you reach the farmstead, inside you’ll find and old-fashioned quilting bee going on.

DSC_7817

I am volunteering as the farmwife again this season. Karen, an avid blog reader, has joined me and we’re having a great time.

DSC_7821

We’re working on an old quilt top that one of my ancestors pieced but never finished. It is fun to watch the kids reaction when you explain how the quilt is made. You can tell that most are wondering why we just don’t go to Walmart and buy one, but sometimes you’ll run across a child who is really intrigued by it. Today for instance we had a young boy who knew how to sew because his Mom had showed him how to sew the patches on his boy scout uniform. Then there was a little girl who wanted to know if we had crocheted all the doilies in the room (that Karen had found and donated). It seems the little girl knew how to crochet. Of course, I asked her if she’d teach me someday because I’m clueless when it comes to crochet.

It’s a lot of fun, we’ll be going back again next Friday. If you are nearby and would like to join our little bee, we would love to have you just bring your thimble.

christinesig

11 comments:

Unknown said...

OMG!! You look like that pioneer woman in that picture you bought in Tennessee!

Sassafras and Winterberry said...

I just love this! I really perk up when kids are interested in the older crafts! I have a student who weaves and is a great needle felter! A boy, no less! I have kids knitting and I taught a group to rug hook. It's so great to keep these things alive!
Courtney
p.s. You look great!

Karen Anne said...

Anyone else remember Rosey Grier?

Christine said...

Karen Anne, they just did a piece on the news last night about men in the local prison knitting scarves for the super bowl.

Mom L said...

Wish I were close enough to visit! What a fascinating thing to do.

Nancy in Iowa

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

What a great post, wish I live near by to visit! I was curious about the quilt, do you have any idea when it was started? Have a wonderful weekend!

Donna OShaughnessy said...

I love Bilie Creek Village ! How wonderful of you to volunteer. Last time we were there (2 years ago) the place seemed really empty. Are there more shops opened now ?

Whosyergurl said...

How FUN! I've heard of Billie Creek, but have never been. Until three years ago I lived in New Castle, so I often went to Connor Prairie. Don't you love being in character and helping people learn about days of old? I love your costume!
xo, Cheryl

Christine said...

Donna, they are full during the special events but are still lacking volunteers during the regular season. In fact they are planning to only be open Friday through Monday this year.

Karen Patrick said...

Well, I had a great time and Christine is a lot of fun to hang out with, although when she gets a chance to look at my stitches, she may wish I had not volunteered. The most often asked question was, "what's that thing on your finger?"

Christine said...

I'm not an expert at dating the fabrics but I'd guess that the scrappy parts were pre 1900 and the setting pieces 1910 to 1920.