Wednesday, May 18, 2011

I Love Laverne

She is the perfect sheep. The natural break in her wool (similar to a shedding dog) makes her very easy to shear. You can almost literally cut on the dotted line. It makes me look like I know how to give a decent haircut.

DSC_7907

Her katmoget color markings make it easy to sort her fleece. The neck is one color, the belly another, even her britch wool is different than the rest. She’s a skirt-by-number sheep!

Her lamb fleece, in my opinion, is to die for.

DSC_7914

She is so soft and crimpy, I cannot wait to wash her and spin her into some fabulous yarn.

DSC_7919

I even like her britch wool.

DSC_7917

Combine all this with her calm and sweet personality and Laverne is quickly becoming my favorite. Just don’t tell the rest of the girls I said so. You know how they can get.

christinesig

6 comments:

BunkHouseQuilts said...

I visit your blog on a regular basis. However, I just realized I have never left a comment. Being a farm girl myself, I really enjoy following your story. I am in awe of your ability to raise your own "yarn." Great stuff~! Thanks for sharing.

Karen Patrick said...

Most of the time, I know what you're talking about. However, this time...not so much. Maybe you could explain it to me Friday.

Christine said...

So what are you sayin' Karen? You don't speak shepherd? lol

Sassafras and Winterberry said...

Gosh, I need to learn the wool lingo! I love spinning...but how the batt gets made...I'm at a loss! Love your sharing the shearing...so to speak!
Courtney

I'm gonna tell Mom! said...

I am drooling over that beautiful crimped wool.
kim

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

Gee, I didn't know about sheering different parts of a sheep. I should mention this to my husband, his dad was an expert in sheep's wool. Rumor was he could feel the wool and tell you what type of sheep it came off of and when it came from. He was a very talented man.

Have a great day, and Laverne is a sweetie pie!