Sunday, November 2, 2008

I Should Have Zagged

Have I ever mentioned how much of a klutz I am? It's a wonder I'm still alive really. Just ask any of these folks I live with. I was hanging up one of the engineer's shirts in his closet the other day. The rod is way too tall for me so I was on my tippy-toes. I felt something in my back crunch right between my shoulder blades. Not a good thing, but not debilitating. It hurt a little but no big deal. Then yesterday, while doing my version of The Biggest Loser workout, I think I broke myself. Because it suddenly became a REALLY big deal.

Not willing to admit I'd broken myself though, I proceeded to shower as usual and still planned on cleaning the chicken coop, putting the garden to bed and painting the upstairs bathroom. By the time I finished the shower, where I narrowly missed drowning, I decided lying down with an ice pack was probably a better plan. So I did. For about 20 minutes. Then I determined I should just try to work through the pain and go ahead and clean the coop. I managed to get the big bird side done but nearly passed out, either from the pain or from this stupid diet I'm on. So I fried up an egg with toast followed by a cookie and milk. Figured that was enough protein, carbs and sugar to cure what ailed me. Then I went back to bed and stayed there for a couple of hours this time, under close supervision of the cat.

By the time I managed to pull myself out of bed I'd completely lost all hope of continuing this dumb diet and exercise routine. It's apparently going to kill me. So I hobbled outside where the engineer was and asked him if he wanted a soft drink. He said "yes". I said "Great, then you can pick me up some Cheetos while you're at the convenience store." And he did after he laughed at me a while. I finished the other side of the coop with much less enthusiasm. Then I pulled up all the tomato cages and hauled those to the barn and emptied the pots and buckets my herbs had been growing in. After that I gave up the charade and admitted defeat. It was either that or actually do the screaming out loud and not just in my head.

This morning it's more sore and achy than sharp and shooting pain. I still can't make any sudden moves. The bathroom is definitely not getting painted today.

9 comments:

Lindah said...

Ohhhh, I can't believe you did all that with your body screaming at you. Please...very light exercise and muscle relaxants until bod has time to recuperate.
Take care!

Sandy said...

Please take care of yourself. I hope you are better real soon.

StitchinByTheLake said...

Our bodies tell us when we're overdoing - and honey, you are overdoing! Slow down - it will all get done eventually. blessings, marlene

Kathy said...

Oh my! You have a higher tolerance of pain that I do. I sure hope you get better. Take it easy an go eat some cheetos!

Renee said...

Ouch! Dang girl you get more done injured than I plan to attempt when well. Take it easy - my version of easy - not yours. Grab a large iced cola, a bag of your favorite snacks, a heating pad, the remote control and spend the rest of the day holding the couch down.

LRC said...

You made me tired, already..........

Anonymous said...

Pain is nature's way of telling us to slow down. Listen to your body and take care of yourself for a few days. You'll be glad you did!

Carol said...

I feel inadequate, you are a much stronger woman than I am. I would have been on the couch all day giving into it. Hope you are feeling better soon and curtail the dancing in the coop for awhile.

Jayne said...

Ouch! Wonder what you crunched? Please rest up and take good care of yourself.