Thursday, August 13, 2009

How to Photograph Shetland Sheep

There are all kinds of wonderful resources out there that can help you become a better photographer. For sports photography they always tell you to find a good spot on the sideline and use a tripod. When the sports figure goes flying by you can take great action shots with your telephoto lens.

With wildlife photography they tell you to pack a lunch, take your time, sneak up as close as you can get to your subject, set up your tripod and use a huge honking telephoto lens to reach close enough to to snap a photo without spooking the animal.

These skills I had practiced. These skills I had developed. These skills I could almost say I had mastered. But let me tell you, when you're trying to take pictures of Shetland sheep you can flush all those skills right down the toilet. None of it matters.

Nope. No one will tell you that the sheep will belch in your ear while your setting up your shot. Nor will they remind you that you'll need a damp cloth to clean your lens after the sheep lick it. They don't tell you how to prevent them from chewing on your camera strap. They fail to mention that you will need running shoes instead of a tripod.

And you'd better be in good shape. Because you'll need to run ahead, turn, squat and hope to snap a few shots...before they catch up with you.


Where they will belch in your ear, lick your camera lens and eat the strap until you take off running again...

12 comments:

Unknown said...

But there is nothing like a good sheep belch!! one of my Cotswold wethers loves zippers on my coats, up and down it goes! Cute post!

Nancy K. said...

Truer words were never spoken!

Renee said...

Your sheep are fabulous - belching and all. I would love to have the self-confidence to have hips like theirs, manners like that, and not give a fig what others think.

Lori Skoog said...

Great photos of your sheep...and those quilts in the previous post are fabulous...look forward to a post of yours.

Thanks for visiting my Journal.

Rayna said...

Hear hear! Totally agree with everything you just said! lo

Unknown said...

They act like our chocolate lab!;D

thecrazysheeplady said...

We should put together a "how to photograph sheep" workshop. Wouldn't that be funny :-D

I need orange said...

Who knew photography was an aerobic activity???

:-)

Maggie Ann said...

I enjoyed reading your post and seeing the pictures! I'm carding a Shetland fleece just now and it makes the softest yarn...but I'm guessing you already know that. Our Spinning Guild president has a sheep farm ...they had about 84 babies born this spring. Wish I had gone to see them...but I'm not one for driving more than 30 min away from home when I'm driving and by myself.

Lil said...

I so love all your posts about your animals. I live in the city so all I have are two dogs and a cat. Reading about your chickens and sheep is so much fun. Thank you. :-)

Jen said...

Ok that is frigging hilarious!!

LDWatkins said...

That was a good laugh!! I needed one.