Tuesday, March 26, 2013

The Rearrangement of Things

Thank's to Karen Anne's suggestion, I took a not-so-scientific pole on facebook and have settled on this arrangement in the sitting area. There was much rejoicing from the men in the house. I've been under the wether lately and stuck at home. I'm not one to sit still long, so I've been coming up with things for them to move, scooch, hang, etc. I think they are ready for me to get better.


I like this version. I have a rug on order that I think will help tie it all together. Yes, I know I have carpet. Yes, I am aware I don't need a rug. But that carpet is not staying long term. It has been nice this winter. A far more cozy winter than at the old farmhouse, I'll give you that.  But I personally think that has more to do with the walls being three bricks thick than the carpet.



What lies beneath this carpet is the question. We know from talking to the neighbors that the breakfast room has some sort of old linoleum on top of the wood floors. The Sheville addition, of course, is most likely just plywood. A wall was removed between the sitting area here and the formal dining room so the wood floors there are probably non existent or filled with who-knows-what. So until I am prepared to put new plank flooring all throughout the downstairs, I am just going to pretend the carpet isn' t there. So yes, I'm going to put a rug on it.

8 comments:

Tombstone Livestock said...

Love the change with the new arrangement, looks good.

Robin said...

You have a lovely home. I was especially delighted by the frog doorstop. Just a bit of whimsy in a semi-formal space.

Earlene said...

Very very nice!!!

Michelle said...

Love the arrangement and yes, an area rug will be just the thing to tie it all together. I see rugs on carpet all the time; why would anyone question that?

Jayne said...

That Karen Anne, she's really smart. :)

I like the chairs facing the fireplace, too. I agree with Michelle--I see rugs over carpet all the time. If you like it, do it!

Anonymous said...

I don't have a problem with an area rug over carpeting. In fact I am doing that in both of our guest bedrooms and possibly my home office as well. Go for it!

Karen Anne said...

Here's hoping for something nice being under the carpet. I remember peeking under the nasty carpet in the living room when I was looking at the house I lived in in California and finding...oak.

Out there it was not unusual to find in houses that when a wall was removed a floor extended under it. (Often the wood in the two rooms ran different ways, but people left it like that.)

Or if there's nice wood in each area, maybe there would be a way to have a nice matching transition wood put in.

Anonymous said...

Do you still wish to get rid of that light fixture? I'm interested!

www.julie-annsworld.blogspot.com