Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Fine Dining on the Farm

Something ate my car. Well, not the whole car, just the wires that make the air conditioning work. So my 200 mile round trip drive last Friday afternoon was none too pleasant at 93 degrees and the sun beating down on me. I asked a former automotive technician what the problem might be. He flipped all the switches just like I did, lifted the hood and then announced that the air conditioning wasn't working. *blink, blink* Then he said "I suppose you already knew that." I wonder if it was the sweat dripping from my chin, neck and down my back that gave it away? I thought I would get lucky and the sun would be on the passenger side of the vehicle on the way back, but alas it was late enough in the day that it just baked me like a chocolate chip cookie.

It was 93 again today when I stopped at my local service station and begged them to take a look at it. They quickly figured out that wires were cut. Or more accurately, chewed. Chewed by something small enough to reach into the tiny crevice where the wires are located. Where it's difficult for a human to reach. Where they have to pull apart the entire engine just to get to it. Which takes hours. Which costs money. Luckily we have an extended warranty. It has a $100 deductible. Some rodent just had a $100 snack on our dime. I don't believe I have ever had a $100 snack. Now when I say the varmints eat better than we do, I know it's the truth.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Well now that just stinks! Too bad the little varment didn't get his head caught in your fan belt!

Patsy said...

Here it would have been a red Squirrel. They try to eat every thing.
Patsy

StitchinByTheLake said...

When my air conditioner quit a couple of weeks ago it was the same thing - a chewed wire. We have squirrels. Lots of squirrels. Hundreds, really. And I guess they're hungry. blessings, marlene

Renee said...

I once had a mouse that did that. They stole dog food from the bowl and put it in the engine cavity too. It smelled nasty when the car got hot.

I'm not sure that I can think of $100 worht of snacks - That would be like 25 jars of Nutella or 160 cans of generic Spaghettio's.

Carol said...

We don't have that problem here unless the snakes or scorpions start chewing wires. However, I can sympathize with you on that very hot drive. Mine broke down as I was crossing the desert going to Los Angeles. It was only 110 outside so no big deal, (I'm fibbing here). I thought I was driving through h*ll. They always break down at in-opertune times it seems.

Anonymous said...

A neighbor's pet rabbit (which, oddly enough, had the run of the neighborhood) ate our spark plug wires once. Of course, it was all his fault for leaving them in the rabbit's path for a few minutes...but who knew? My hubby almost made rabbit stew that afternoon!

Anonymous said...

We had the same problem. Squirrels. After an expensive repair job we painted the wires with the hottest tobasco sauce on the market and have been squirrel-free for over a year now. After doing a search on the internet I found that this is not uncommon, whether you live in the city, burbs or rural areas. We actually had a nest in the engine. They must have had some pretty exciting rides on the expressway. I can laugh now, but when it happened I was ready for squirrel stew.

Tanya Siekman said...

Ouch! That was an expensive snack wasn't it?

At least today it cooled down ... amazing huh? 93 one day and almost fall the next! We're in the same neck of the woods I think! lol.

Tanya

Patsy said...

Well here it is I know you have been just waiting for this.In a test performed by Canadian scientists using various different styles of music, it was determined that chickens lay the most eggs when pop music is played. In Rural Arkansas a publication of Arkansas Electric Cooperatives, Inc.

Anonymous said...

Mice around here. Nested in a little home they made for themselves in the dashpad.

Anonymous said...

I HOPE YOU COME BACK SOON!