Saturday, August 20, 2011

Always Doing it the Hard Way

It is the story of my life.

A normal person would go out, take a weaving class, buy a new loom and start weaving.

Not me.

I drag home a pile of pine and cherry wood that someone claims is a loom. Then try to assemble it without any instructions. It was like putting together a jigsaw puzzle without knowing what the picture is.

Once I got it assembled I needed to start refurbishing it. I first had to sand off  the paint overspray.

DSC_8215

Then replace all the worn out yarn heddles, which meant completely disassembling the loom and putting it back together three times. (It seems I’m a slow learner.)

DSC_8216

Finally, the wood soaked up a coat of tung oil like a camel in the desert.  After a sufficient drying time I started adding the warp for my first project. I’m half way there.

DSC_8273

All this led to a feeling of loom knowledge superiority even though I haven’t finished a single project. Given that I was now an expert I decided to dive into warping the looms at Billie Creek Village.

Yeah.

This is a picture of Karen my trusty spotter, telling Charlie I don’t have a clue what I am doing. She was “spotting” me to make sure I didn’t tie myself up in the loom as I could have ended up stranded there for days before anyone noticed.

DSC_8266

She was right. I had no idea what I was doing. It is completely different than the loom at home. I managed to get the sectional warp beam loaded but couldn’t figure out what the next step was. We quit and decided to go home and consult the internet. Baby steps. The goal is to set up a rug weaving studio in the log cabin to sell rugs in the General Store.

Clearly, it’s not going to happen over night.

DSC_8265

Before we left we toured the wood carving studio and the pottery shop for inspiration.

DSC_8270

Attendance at the Village is way down, just like everywhere else these days. But we are continuing to plug forward with the motto, “If we build it, they will come.”

You’ll come, right?

Right?

Just say yes to humor me.

christinesig

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

So neat that you are doing this... things will come together in time, just you wait and see! :-)))

Unknown said...

Oh yeah....I'll be there!

No kidding, someday I'll come witness the miracle of a working loom! ;D

Conni said...

Christine, I can so relate! The first time I warped my loom, I did it without classes, lessons or any instructions. I had watched my Dad do it, years earlier, and just kind of figured it out! But, my loom was in one piece when I started...I didn't have to figure out how to put it together before I could use it!!

Robin said...

You are a most determined gal! Yes, I would love to come.

Karen Anne said...

I would definitely visit the village if I were in your vicinity. Do I remember that classes of school kids visit? If not yet, that might help spread the word.

You sure brought your loom back to a state of beauty.

I'm gonna tell Mom! said...

I am thoroughly impressed! I may just have to take a Billie Creek Village field trip one of these days. I can't wait to see what you produce on BOTH looms!
kim

thecrazysheeplady said...

You did a great job on that loom!

How far away is Billie Creek from me?

The Barn Door said...

Oh how I wish I could get some time away from taking care of dad to visit. Will have to settle for the pictures.

Christine said...

LOL, a long way Sara, but you're welcome to visit any time. Maybe during next year's fiber festival?

Crosswinds Farm said...

Instructions? We don't need no damn instructions! You do things like I do...the hard way. Are you sure we weren't separated at birth? LOL
Great job on the loom.

Cynthia Arneson said...

Sounds like fun no matter how it turns out. :) The next time I'm driving thru Indiana, I'm going to see if I pass close to you. My daughter lives in OH and I live in AZ. Who knows, if you build I may come! :)

Anonymous said...

Good on you, just going for it! I don't have a clue how to warp a real loom. One of these days I'll probably want to learn, though. Would really like to make rugs.

Sheepmom said...

Believe it or not, I have the exact same frame (in about a million pieces) in my small bedroom. I got it about 11 years ago this summer from the funeral director who buried my mom. It is listed on the instruction book (wherever that is) that it's a rug loom.
When I get my studio (aka, 3rd bedroom done) I plan on setting it up and making blankets from my Shetland fleeces.
I live in SE Indiana about 45 minutes from Cincinnati.
Benita