Sunday, August 28, 2011

Inside the Log Cabin

It is coming along. We are almost ready for the big festival next weekend. Some more cleaning and a few new curtains and we’ll be good to go. It is a spacious cabin considering it was built in 1830. The door on the far right leads to a narrow stairway. The other door next to it is a small, under the stairs type closet.

DSC_8329

Of course, the fireplace is the kitchen. Just a few cast iron pots and utensils, a bowl, a few cups and a plate or two. How many cabinets do you have in your kitchen? This one doesn’t have any.

DSC_8331

The other side of the room is where the looms are. One in each corner.

DSC_8337

Notice the completed rug!  A visitor today asked how long I had been making rugs. I had to admit it was my first day and this was my first rug. I don’t’ think  he believed me but he and his wife were there while I finished it and helped give me a “woo hoo” when it was done.

DSC_8364

Most visitors stick to touring the downstairs only. The steps being narrow and steep. Some are brave enough to climb the steps though.

DSC_8340

The upstairs seems huge with it’s open ceiling compared to the 6 foot ceilings downstairs.

DSC_8344

It needs a serious cleaning. I left the broom there but nobody has gotten the hint. I’m afraid I’m going to have to do it myself.

DSC_8341

That trick probably didn’t work for the farmwife 180 years ago either.

christinesig

16 comments:

Darlene's Quilts and Stuff said...

The cabin is looking so good and your rug is splendid indeed. I love the fireplace too. I hope the festival is a big hit.

Gone Country said...

What a fantastic place! Nice rug too! Is it going to stay in the cabin?

melanie said...

What an amazing place! How big is the cabin? (Sq. feet of the floor, I mean)

Mary Ann said...

Those were wonderful pictures of the cabin, Christine, thank you so much! Can't wait to see more about it.

Christine said...

Melanie, the cabin is 18' x 22'. A relatively big cabin for this area in that time period.

I may have to save the first rug to look back on. It has to get better from here!

Karen Anne said...

That looks amazingly cozy. Except for the ceilings. After living for decades in an old California bungalow with a high ceiling, I still get a claustrophobic effect from much lower Rhode Island ceilings. It's bizarre how much difference ceiling height makes.

Suzan said...

The cabin looks great!! Probably the best it has ever looked!! Is this the original site or was it moved to this location?

Christine said...

It was moved in 1969 from 10 miles down the road.

Anonymous said...

the cabin is so cool. just oozing with rustic charm!

clairz said...

This is an amazing place. You are so lucky. As a child, I put myself to sleep each night by imagining that I lived in a log cabin.

Suzan said...

How wonderful that it was saved!!

Whosyergurl said...

Oh, I love this little cabin. I would love to live in one just like this!
xo, Cheryl

Anonymous said...

Lookin' good! When my sister and I used to do Pioneer Days (at Fowler Park), we used a smaller loom (it's still at the Peker cabin I do believe) that was a hand-pull rather than a foot-pedal type (dontcha love my technical terms?). The ladies from the historical society would cut up our "rug" at the end of the weekend and divvy it up amongst us girls. I still have two of my remnants that I sewed together and I sometimes use it as a table runner. I can tell which spots the younger girls did and which ones that us older girls did (or at least that's what I tell ppl anyway ;} ).

Benita said...

So, would you be interested in actually spending the night there? Cook your supper in the fireplace and climb up to the loft to sleep?

Christine said...

Prior to the recent snake visitor, yes. Now? Not so much.

thecrazysheeplady said...

That's an awesome cabin and your rug is fabulous! Good job!!!