Thursday, January 12, 2012

A New Friend for Thelma

We could never replace Louise, but I think we’ve found a new friend to keep Thelma company. Well, an old friend really, they both came from the same foreclosed mega-ranch. She has no name and is only identified as #172.

DSC01763

During the chaos of dispersing a herd so large, about 18 llamas slipped through the cracks. They were not included as part of the auction; they were rescued by Llama Reserve from the slaughterhouse at the 11th hour. Number 172 was among them.

DSC01764

She is what they call a non-breeder, or in other words has had some issues with her girly parts and shouldn’t be out making babies. We don’t do babies here so she’s a perfect fit for us. We will value her for who she is, not what she can give us. I’ve not yet met her, (her foster provided these photos) but I’m told she is very sweet.  As soon as transportation can be arranged, we’ll give her a home here - and give her a name. I think she deserves that.

Someone asked me about making a donation to Llama Reserve in memory of Louise. I was touched by it and thought it was fabulous idea. As a fledgling organization it is in need of so many things and as Lisa Alayza of Llama Reserve said, “They can’t eat snowballs,” every dollar counts. If you feel compelled to make a donation you can click on the logo below to get to the Paypal link.

16 comments:

Karen Anne said...

I'm glad she has a home, and know Thelma will be very glad to see her.

Benita said...

With tax season here, I'm just now catching up on your blog and I am so sorry a about Louise. Losing an animal like that is heartbreaking and my thoughts are with you - and Thelma. I hope this new friend makes Thelma happy.

Denise at Autumn Sky said...

Thelma will be happy to welcome a new friend. I can't wait to see her all settled and sporting a new name. Do llamas groom each other like equines or show any other type of physical bonding? Just curious.

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see her in the surroundings your place has to offer her! YAY.

Christine said...

Interstingly no they don't, Denise. Neither do alpacas. They sniff each other but that's pretty much it.

Angela said...

What a blessing for her to land in the gravy at Casa Christine!!

thecrazysheeplady said...

She's already giving you a raspberry! I love it :-D. Can't wait to meet her!

Nancy K. said...

What a win-win situation for everyone! Poor, beautiful, nameless llama gets a home, a friend and a NAME ~ Thelma gets a new partner in crime and you get a little salve for your aching heart as well! Nothing like rescuing an animal to make you feel good inside.

I hope the llama rescue gets lots of donations! I know how much my little canine rescue has already cost and I can't imagine the expenses involved with saving camelids!

Tombstone Livestock said...

Glad you found Thelma a companion ...

Unknown said...

It sounds like a win win for both llamas.

I've got a feeling the nameless llama will be an interesting character.....it looks like she's blowing raspberries in the first picture.

:)

Robin said...

My mother had a friend named Thelma that was quite a character. Their joint friend was Vera which would make a good name for your new addition.

Michelle said...

Well, hello Velma, you beautiful thing, you!

Me and My Stitches said...

So happy for you and your new "baby". I can't wait until you get her and get to know her!

rkbsnana said...

Good for Thelma. Eager to hear what you name the new friend.

Anonymous said...

The name Charo jumped out at me when I saw the picture.

Jamie Oliver (@va_grown) said...

The donation request was such a thoughtful idea. Praying that your new barnyard member comes home soon.