Monday, January 2, 2012

Where the Wind Blows

Living on the wide-open prairie always makes life more interesting. Those news clips of weathermen in raincoats during a hurricane can’t hold a candle to everyday life out here. I feel like I need a tether to get to the barn and back. Even the sheep don’t want to go outside.

DSC_9383

“Are you going to feed us or are you just going to stand around making clicking noises with that black thing?” asks Tula.

This century-old farmhouse wasn’t designed with aerodynamics in mind. A wind advisory here can be translated to non-stop whistling. During the past 48 hours of nature’s serenade, I’ve given it much thought and have determined it has something to do with the wrap-around porch. At least that is where it sounds like it is coming from. The same place it came from at the old farmhouse I lived in as a child. This explains a lot, really. I’ve always lamented  a homeowner’s decision to enclose their wrap-around porch, but now I realize they were most likely driven stark raving mad by the blasted whistling. They were trying to make the whistling go away. No different than lining the walls with tinfoil to block out the voices.

13 comments:

rkbsnana said...

You are so funny - and so early in the morning. Love the Tula shot.

Melodie said...

Whew! Here's to hoping that wind dies down soon!
The sheep are so cute!

Anonymous said...

Oh I feel your pain and HEAR your pain up here in Northern Indiana as we to have an old Farmhouse, no wrap around porch though.....the wind still comes whistling through! SO ready for it to stop....dogs don't want to go out, goats won't leave barn, chickens won't step foot out of their coop and have not seen head nor tail of the cats!
Here's to hoping it calms soon!

Karen Anne said...

Porch life cycle in my neck of the woods:

Porch is built open.
Someone encloses it.
Later owner restores house, opens up porch.

I love porches.

Chai Chai said...

Your house is just serenading you to sleep, you would miss it if it was gone....Why can't I sleep?

Denise at Autumn Sky said...

That's a great photo of the sheep. It's always about the food, isn't it? Speaking of that, it's 6:30 and my donkeys should be calling for breakfast any minute now.

Sheila said...

Hang some chimes and you will have music! :) Happy New Years

Unknown said...

LOL! We have the same problem....last night I slept in the guest room because I couldn't stand the wind whistling around our porch!

What's the story on the tin foil?

WhiteStone said...

We missed the snow here in Iowa but we had two nights of high winds roaring through the treetops! Soooo loud!
Love the cozy photo of your animals! I could feel the warmth of their habitat.

Nancy K. said...

BWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAA Ha Ha Ha Ha ha ha!


After my last surgery (the 7th in 6 months) I heard 'radio people' along the ceiling of where ever I was (hospital, my daughter's, etc.)staying. Seriously! It was kind of a static sound (like a radio off of the channel) and once in a while I'd hear snippets of words or music. I kept looking up to where the wall meets the ceiling because that's where the sound was coming from.

The doctor said it was from the cumulative effects of anesthesia but I prefer to think of it as the radio people. I miss my radio people...

No tin foil for me!

The Barn Door said...

Christine...from one fellow writer to another, you crack me up!!
Karen & the Hounds

Whosyergurl said...

Windy down south here in Bloomington, too. Only 3 of our chickens ventured out, yesterday. I kind of like the wind. Especially when I'm sitting in front of the fire!
xo, Cheryl

Stevie said...

Better to hear whistling than the sound of roof panels flapping. I knew I heard something during the night but awoke to find a tin panel on the kidding barn came loose. Ugh. I woul dhave made full strength and not 1/2 caff coffee if I knew this was what was going on!
Stevie@ruffledfeathersandspilledmilk.com