Saturday, January 29, 2011

Hello, My Name is Christine

The Wikipedia article regarding addictions starts out,

“Historically, addiction has been defined as physical and psychological dependence on psychoactive substances (for example alcohol, tobacco, heroin and other drugs) which cross the blood-brain barrier once ingested, temporarily altering the chemical milieu of the brain.

Addiction can also be viewed as a continued involvement with a substance or activity despite the negative consequences associated with it. Pleasure and enjoyment would have originally been sought, however over a period of time involvement with the substance or activity is needed to feel normal.

I’m starting to suspect I might have a fiber addiction. It draws me like a bug to a zapper.  To me the smell is intoxicating. Touching it certainly brings pleasure and enjoyment.  I want to cuddle up and take a nap with this Shetland/BFL lamb fleece.

DSC_7269

I put Dorothy’s fleece out for display so I can walk past it, see it and touch it every day.

DSC_7274

After a quick run through the drum carder even her britch wool is soft and has been making wonderful felted projects. She got an extra cookie last night because of it.

DSC_7265

I even like washing the fleeces. I can’t wait to see what Rose’s lamb fleece looks like under all that dirt.

DSC_7272

And then there is the actual act of spinning it into yarn. And knitting it into something useful.

*sigh*

I definitely have a problem. I’m starting to need it to feel normal.

christinesig

12 comments:

Robin said...

So how much yarn do you actually get from one fleece?

Mary Ann said...

I can see why you would be addicted, those are beautiful fleeces. I have never thought of washing my llama fleece... I wonder if I could? I have been saving it up to send after this year's summer "trim".

Miss Effie said...

Sista! You are in good company!!! Well .... so I say. :)

Christine said...

Robin, it really depends on a lot of things. The size of the sheep, the length of their wool, the thickness of the yarn you are spinning. Since I have spun an entire fleece from my girls yet, I can't really say. It's more than you would think though.

Unknown said...

I see nothing wrong with your addiction, there's a lot worse things you could be addicted to! As long as it doesn't cause you to be incarcerated or institutionalized, then I say have at it!

Deb W said...

My name is Deb, and I too am a fiber addict. I have an "urban farm,' so my fiber animals are angora rabbits. Believe me - they are every bit as addicting as sheep and fleece. (we won't talk about how many bags of sheep's fleece I have stored) But hey! Angora and wool make a wonderful blend!

Anonymous said...

I'm trying to figure out why you think this is a bad thing???

Nancy K. said...

Normal?

What's that???

;-)

Michelle said...

But there aren't any negative consequences, are there? ;-)

Danni said...

Wow! While I don't have your same, um, love (shall we call it), I think you described your adoration for it beautifully! It kind of made me want to cuddle up with all your containers of fleece, too! :-)

Donna said...

Since you are also a quilter, you probably can't stop fingering the fabric in a quilt shop too. I also do the same thing.

Benita said...

I love washing dirty wool, too! I actually like the smell of all that lanoline and seeing it come out so clean and fluffy. And, you are so right, then there's the carding, spinning, dyeing, knitting or weaving it, maybe some sewing, some felting... I love it all!!!