Wednesday, January 19, 2011

How to Win Friends and Influence People

2011 was the year I was going to finally “get it together.” No more being a slob. I went out and bought some new clothes, new makeup even a new purse. I started cleaning and organizing my house. I decided I was going to finally become that mature person whom people admire (yet secretly despise).

Only it seems I’d forgotten something. Something very important. It seems you can dress up all you want, but you still have to be able to “pull it off.” You see I’m one of those people who walks around with her lunch on her shirt. Who can’t seem to walk through a doorway without running into one side or the other and who runs around looking like a six year old chose her outfit. None of which particularly matters if you never leave the farm, but I was planning to leave more often this year and hoped to make a better impression when I did.

I filled the water bucket this morning to take out to the chickens. Dressed in my lovely “doing chores” outfit of sweat pants, muck boots, a green Carhart jacket, leather gloves and a ratty homespun scarf and hat, I started out the door with the bucket. The two dogs raced ahead of me down the stairs; they know the routine. Then, out of nowhere, I had done a lovely 360 pirouette and landed flat on my back in a flower bed filled with a snowdrift. What happened to the bucket of water you ask? It landed directly on top of me, of course.

I laid there, soaked to the bone. I would be remiss if I didn’t mention that it’s a balmy 29 degrees today. The dogs returned and looked at me as if to say, “what did you do that for?”

I wasn’t injured. Not physically anyway. Looking up to the sky I said out loud, “So this is how it’s gonna be, huh?”

I was not impressed. I got up, brushed myself off and grumbled a few things under my breath. I made my way to the chicken coop, and opened the the hatches. One of my favorite things every morning is watching Old One-Eyed Calico Jack come strutting out of the coop. He has a funny walk down the plank that he does because he only has one eye. Every day I say to him “Good morning, Big Guy.” It makes him feel good (‘cause you know he’s only 8 inches tall).

This morning he came strutting out and I started to say “Good morning, Big…” when I noticed he had a wood shaving stuck to his foot. It was a curly one about a foot and a half long. It looked exactly like he’d just walked out of the men’s room with toilet tissue stuck to the bottom of his shoe.

I decided right then and there that we don’t need to change. We don’t need to “get it together.” We’re quirky. We’re klutzy. We’re characters. And I’m perfectly okay with that.

christinesig

16 comments:

melanie said...

Atta Girl! (to both of you!)

Robin said...

You make everyone feel good. I guess we're always trying to be something we're not. You made me feel like it "okay" to be me today.

Unknown said...

I have many a friends that live in very neat,tidy, clone built subdivisions, I even have a friend that pays a maid to clean her house. Never could do it. I love my unorganization, my smell pink coveralls, though I admit I do have a weakness for namebrand shoes/purses;) Being too mature makes for oldness, I always tell my students.....just be you:)

Michelle said...

Oh to have videos of you and Jack this morning! It would have cured us of all that ails us (laughter being the best medicine, you know!). Now I'm headed out to do chores, glad that no one is following ME with a camcorder....

Nancy K. said...

Welcome to the world of "quirky, klutzy".

I think we're a pretty big group!

I hope you put some DRY CLOTHES on!
And that your day gets better...

Conni said...

Sounds like a Charlie Brown morning!

I'm gonna tell Mom! said...

Your personal reality check is really quite touching. Just to let you know...you are dressed like a princess compared to me. I usually venture out to the coop in the morning still in my pajamas, wearing my coke-bottle glasses, peering out from under an oversised down hat. Just keep being YOU...someone I can relate to!
Bonnie Jo

Miss Effie said...

Lunch on your shirt??? My girlfriend always said ... we haven't eaten lunch until Cathy spills on herself.

I'm sure tomato stained shirts will be on the runway next spring!

Florida Farm Girl said...

So, you finally acknowledged you're amongst us, huh???? Welcome to the neighborhood of sartorial don't give a rip!!! Particularly at home!!

Taryn said...

From one klutzy character to another...amen sister. I guess it's your dogs who have it together. And we all know what people call them (at least the girls). 'nough said.

Michelle said...

You are so funny! Yes, you are perfect just the way you are!
xoxo

John Going Gently said...

the older I get
the more I trip over things

bet I will break a hip before I am 50

D Brown said...

Getting "it together" is over-rated!

Kathy said...

Despite the best efforts of my friends, my idea of dressed up is still clean jeans and a tshirt that hasn't got print (or lunch) on it.
We make the rest of them look better. It's a difficult job, but somebody has to do it, right?

Anonymous said...

I love your blogs...love to start my day with a smile...thank you...Sharon

D said...

Girl, you crack me up! I so enjoy your blog, both your stories and your pictures. You make this world a better place let me tell you. Debbie Melvin