Monday, January 26, 2009

They Need Constant Supervision

We think we figured out how Old One-Eyed Calico Jack ended up with only one eye. Blackbeard must have decided he would no longer tolerate Little Jack Scallywag's advances on the ladies. He beat the snot out of the poor little bugger. Literally. Then Bob and even some of the ladies joined in the fight. I found Little Jack huddled in the corner between the wall and a feeder trying to protect his head. His eye, and the surrounding area is swollen and bruised.

The maternal instinct kicked in immediately and I swooped the poor boy up and brought him inside to nurse him back to health. He was mighty appreciative considering he can barely see and was having a really hard time defending himself. Then I went back out and read the riot act to the offenders. I explained that sort of behavior simply is not acceptable and I was sorely disappointed in them. If they could, I would have forced them to write "I will not beat up Jack" 100 times on a chalk board. Instead they had to go to roost without their evening snack. I'm sure that'll teach 'em.

In the mean time we have a rooster in the house. He's injured but he still likes to crow. Especially at 6:00 a.m. It's now a MAJOR priority for me to get alternate living arrangements set up to separate these roosters. Somewhere OUTSIDE.

7 comments:

Jen said...

I've got nothing to say but I'm laughing my fool head off!!

Unknown said...

I think I'd set an alarm clock beside him ready to go off at 5:45 and show him what it feels like!

Patsy said...

life in the coop is not fun for some.
patsy

Jayne said...

Awwww....poor guy. I was feeling pretty bad for him, and then I read Milah's comment and about fell off my chair laughing!!

StitchinByTheLake said...

I'm pretty sure, not positive but pretty sure, that you are the only person I know with a rooster living in her house? Did he get the guest room? blessings, marlene

Unknown said...

Marlene, He's probably not only in the guest room, but if The Engineer is telling the truth, he's eating at the dining room table!

Christine said...

Well he is living with all the other "guests", but not IN the guest room. LOL And just like guests after about three days it starts to smell...